Did you recently find out that you have an enlarged liver or more like a fatty liver but you have never touched alcohol in your life?
Is that the case with you?
If yes, then it is a Non-alcoholic fatty liver which can easily be managed by little lifestyle modification and you are sorted.
Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver (NAFLD) is a commonly seen disorder now a days in which there is accumulation of excess fat in the liver of those people who do not consume alcohol. As we know Alcohol is the main reason for many liver related disease and the cure for that is abstinence from alcohol.
NAFLD is not due to Alcohol consumption. It is mainly due to obesity.
Here I would like to mention some anti-oxidants that plays a major role in curing of NAFLD:
- Vitamin DVitamin D is one of the major anti-oxidant which helps in protecting the liver from oxidative damage. The main source of vitamin D is sunlight but little amounts are also present in animal proteins like fishes like mackerel, salmon, tuna etc. Now a days vitamin D fortified products like flavored milk, juices are readily available.
2. Vitamin E
Vitamin E is another extremely important anti-oxidant. It is also reported that there is decrease in inflammation in people suffering from NAFLD when vitamin E rich foods were consumed. Vitamin E is present in high amounts in almonds, spinach, sweet potato, avocado, wheat germ.
Omega-3 fatty acid has been researched and it is seen that its supplements lowers the liver fat. It is seen that 0.83g/day of omega-3 fatty acid is helpful but again naturally occurring omega-3 is equally healthy. Omega-3 rich foods include fish oil, flaxseeds, chia seeds, walnuts, fatty fish, soybean, seafood.
An antioxidant, astaxanthin is said to have many health benefits. It is an anti-oxidant which reduces inflammation in the liver and protects the liver from oxidative damage. It is mainly present in seafoods like salmon, shrimp, crabs, lobsters etc.
Apart from these anti-oxidants, the major lifestyle modification to be done is healthy changes in dietary habits.
These are some healthy changes in diet:
- A diet low in carbohydrates and a source of complex carbohydrates rather than simple, refined carbohydrates is the key. Complex carbohydrates are present in whole wheat, ragi, semolina, barley, rye etc.
- The fat content of the diet should be changed in terms of the quality of fat. MCT fat is a preferred form of fat. MCT fat includes butter, coconut oil, olive oil. Omega-3 fatty acid as seen earlier is beneficial in many ways to the body.
- As we all know protein in the source required for muscle building, in the same way in NAFLD there can be loss of muscle mass and hence a diet high in protein is recommended. Protein from animal sources like meat, fish, poultry, milk and milk products are more helpful. For vegeterians, pulses, sprouts, legumes are equally beneficial.
- Lastly, exercise plays a very important role. Starting of with 15 mins of brisk walk and gradually increasing it can be a life changing decision.
These were some lifestyle changes for NAFLD. I hope you guys benefit from it.
If you have any questions regarding this topic of if you have any other topic of which you want to know more about, please mention it in the comment section. I would be glad to help you.
Lastly please do not be a ghost reader, do like and subscribe for more.